Eat Your Way to Healthy Skin: 10 foods that will fight acne and protect against skin cancer
bad sunlight (UVA rays) forces the skin to put up defenses by
activating an immune reaction in the form of inflammation that is
visible as sunburn. When you increase your body's immune system
capabilities, combined with using natural sunscreens and/or protective
clothing, you protect your skin from sun damage much more effectively.
So, your sun-protection has to involve both a topical and internal approach...with FOOD!
- Yes to Omega-3's.
Omega-3 has anti-inflammatory properties. Grill your wild salmon, and
trout. Make yourself a fresh herring salad. The sardine is a powerhouse
of omega-3, packed with Vitamin D too.
- Super-Veggies. The following cruciferous
vegetables score high for containing many anti-cancer substances:
broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, bok choy and kale.
- Be Green.
Chose dark greens, such as spinach and romaine lettuce, for their
fiber, folate and a wide range of cancer-fighting carotenoids. Dark
colored veggies, such as beets and red cabbage also can enhance immune
- Have Another Glass! Grapes
and red wine are good to consume, in moderation of course. They contain
resveratrol which is a compound produced naturally by plants when under
attack by pathogens.
- Believe in Beans. Legumes such as beans, peas and lentils contain saponins (antioxidant), protease inhibitors (block viral particles) and more.
- Go Berry Picking. Blueberries and blackberries contain ellagic and anthocyanosides; both are associated with having anti-cancer properties.
- Fabulous Flaxseed.
Especially if you grind it yourself and consume when fresh, for the
essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (reduce inflammation) and
other good fats, flaxseed is a great staple to keep in your kitchen.
- Who Doesn't Like Garlic? Garlic, onions, scallions, leeks and chives have many anti-cancer substances, including allicin.
- High Tea Time. Drink some green tea for its anti-cancer catechins, a potent antioxidant.
- You say Tomato, I say Toe-ma-toe. Indulge in eating some tomatoes for the famous antioxidant flavonoid lycopene.
Additionally, when you're treating your acne, it is important to choose a treatment like AcnEase®
that will not cause sun sensitivity. Your skin has to work that much
harder than it already is to protect itself when it's exposed to the sun
while on a treatment that is sun sensitive.