5 Ways to Protect Your Skin from Sun with Food
This is the 3rd article in our Summer Series, so stay tuned for many more summer tips to keep your skin clear! Join us on Twitter and Facebook to keep the conversation going!
In a previous article in our Summer Skincare Series, we abolished a widespread myth that the sun is always bad for you. Sunlight, while accessed in a controlled manner, is healthy and necessary for us as it provides necessary Vitamin D, and actually protects you from some forms of cancer. This exposure needs however to be controlled and limited so it doesn't cause accelerated aging and skin cancer.
The bad sunlight (UVA rays) forces the skin to put up defenses by activating an immune reaction in the form of inflammation that is visible as sunburn. When you increase your body's immune system capabilities, combined with using natural sunscreens and/or protective clothing, you protect your skin from sun damage much more effectively.
So, your sun-protection has to involve both a topical and internal approach...with FOOD!
- Choose foods with large amounts of omega-3. Omega-3 has anti-inflammatory properties. Grill your wild salmon, and trout. Make yourself a fresh herring salad. Find a delicious recipe to include the powerhouse of omega-3, the sardine, which is packed with Vitamin D too.
- Start picking those berries. Strawberries, blueberries and blackberries have catechins that protect skin from UVA rays. So have them as snacks, add them to salads and yogurt, or make a delicious natural sorbet drink blending them with a bit of spring water and ice.
- Buy tomatoes and watermelons. Great to eat by themselves or not, tomatoes and watermelons contain lycopene, which protects your skin against UVA rays.
- Look for recipes that include broccoli sprouts. Broccoli sprouts have the richest source of glucoraphanin, the precursor of sulforaphane, which is credited with increasing the skin's ability to protect itself from cancer.
- Drink lots of clean water. For extra vitamin C, add a slice of lemon, orange or pink grapefruit to each glass.
Hope you're having a great start to the Summer!
Have questions for Dr. Agnes? Contact Us!
Dr. Agnes Olszewski, CEO of Herborium, natural health expert
«My workin China in the pharmaceutical and healthcaresector, and my personalexperience while growing up in Europe, inspired me to developHerborium®,a novel Botanical Therapeutics® company, based on a new,innovative healthcare concept that combines science and nature. Ourapproach has already been proven up to 95% effective in our acne treatment, AcnEase®. Not only do I focus on developingbotanical based medicinal products that are helpful in treatment, prevention and managementof different heath conditions,but also on educating the publicabout the values and dangers of naturalmedicine. »