Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is associated with changes in the levels of certain hormones:
It is not completely understood why or how the changes in the hormone levels occur in woman with Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). PCOS can have a wide spectrum of symptoms due to the diversity of the syndrome. A common denominator however is fluctuations in hormone levels including an increase in testosterone, both known as contributing factors for acne. The ingredients present in AcnEase® are tailored to limit the negative impact of fluctuations in hormone levels and increases in free testosterone on the sebaceous glands that produce sebum (skin oil)
Acne pimples form in the pores surrounding hair follicles due to over secretion of sebum by the sebaceous glands. The most common factor impacting over production of sebum is fluctuating hormone levels. The primary hormones that impact sebaceous gland secretions however are androgen related (testosterone, and its analogs DHT and DHEAS). These hormones will directly impact the sebaceous glands and increase sebum production and initiate the acne cascade. As sebum accumulates in the pores it traps dead skin cells which provide an ideal environment for the growth of bacteria. As bacteria grow your body responds with an inflammatory response bringing white blood cells to attack the bacteria. This response is seen as pimples, often inflamed, on the surface of the skin.
In most cases the pimples are “walled off” by the body and restricted to a single pore. In some cases the local inflammatory response spreads under the surface of the skin to cause “bumps” which are the sign of acne cysts. Cystic acne is the most serious form of acne that causes damage to the underlying layers of the skin and any attempt to “squeeze” these bumps will only further damage the skin. It is quite often that women who suffer from PCOS also suffer from acne. Furthermore, PCOS may contribute to inflammation and also lead to the formation of inflammatory cysts.
Understanding that androgen related hormones can influence sebaceous gland secretions is only part of the story. What most people do not understand is that only 1-2% of these hormones circulate freely in the blood; the other 98% are bound to a protein called Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG). If the androgen hormones are bound to SHBG in the blood they will not cause acne, it is only the “free form” of DHT and DHEAS that can cause the sebaceous glands to make more sebum. Again with PCOS you have a double whammy; fluctuating female sex hormones and more male sex hormones (androgens/testosterone), therefore the likelihood that the levels of freely circulating hormone levels are increased is obviously much more likely.
AcnEase will blunt the impact of hormones on the sebaceous glands and thereby will improve your chance to stop acne formation. Since PCOS is difficult to control, women who have PCOS and acne may use AcnEase in conjunction with some topical acne products providing they do not dry out or irritate your skin. It is important however to understand that NO TOPICAL PRODUCT CAN REALLY STOP ACNE FROM COMING SINCE NO TOPIAL PRODUCT CAN MODERATE THE IMPACT HORMONAL IMBALANCE HAS ON PRODUCTION OF SEBUM BY SEBACIOUS GLANDS.
It is worth to mention that other than acne symptoms women with PCOS can experience changes in their period (menstrual cycle), possible hair loss or thinning on their scalp, growth of body hair (hirsutism), increases in blood sugar and even high blood pressure. These symptoms are directly related to the increase level of a free testosterone in the blood. Interestingly, since one of the precursors for building testosterone in your body is cholesterol, regular exercise, diets low in cholesterol and carbohydrates and loss of weight may be help in controlling symptoms associated with PCOS including acne.
Finally some practical advice; AcnEase® may definitely help reduce acne breakouts for women with PCOS. AcnEase may also reduce the frequency of cysts appearing, reduce the size of cysts making them less painful. By reducing the severity and number of cysts AcnEase may help prevent skin damage which can lead to the formation of acne scars. Finally, AcnEase® will NOT interfere with any other medicine or supplement that is taken. Since PCOS is an on-going condition in most cases the recommended regimen is Severe Acne Treatment and continuous use of AcnEase is recommended until the PCOS symptoms are resolved.
"I have tried just about every acne medication on the market. It has been a month now since I started using AcnEase. Now, I can go outside in the daylight and not feel like everyone is looking at my acne. There are no words that I can use to tell you how much I thank you for creating this wonderful product." Katie, 29
Get discounts, FREE product offers and SURPRISING CLEAR SKIN TIPS from Dr. Agnes.